Vernon Statistics (Grades 6-12)
- 18% of Vernon youth drink alcohol
- 2.5% of Vernon youth binge drink (4+ drinks in one sitting) alcohol
- 78% of Vernon youth perceive alcohol to be a great risk.
- 90% of Vernon youth believe their parents would disapprove of them drinking alcohol.
- 76% of Vernon youth believe their friends would disapprove of drinking alcohol.
- 13 years old is the average age of first use of alcohol
- 32% of Vernon youth believe it is easy to access alcohol.
- Alcohol slows down the part of the brain that is responsible for coordination, reaction time, clear thinking, judgement, and can also impair vision
- 12 oz beer (5%), 5 oz wine (12%), 1.5 oz of spirits (40%; gin, rum, tequila, vodka, whiskey, etc.) all contain the same amount of alcohol
- The only way to become sober is time. Taking a cold shower or drinking coffee does not make you sober faster.
Revised November 2023